Where’s the Fix? IRS ‘Where’s My Refund’ Glitch Stirs Anger

The Internal Revenue Service has not altered its website statement in four days on the glitch that is keeping its Where’s My Refund online tool from letting e-filers check the status of their refunds.
The delay is not only with the glitch but in overall refund time-frames, e-filers say. Delayed refunds have stirred up much frustration and anger among e-filers.
“We expect the vast majority of tax refunds to continue to be issued within the historical range of 10 to 21 days,” the IRS said in a statement.
But commentators to eCreditDaily have said their refunds have been inexplicably delayed.
“I filed my return electronically on 2/3.,” said one e-filer. “The Where’s My Refund site said that I should receive my refund by 2/14. I finally got through to someone at the IRS on 2/16. She said that my return has not been processed yet. It has been ‘resequenced’.”
Another e-filer said someone from the IRS said the agency’s fraud alert system was delaying her refund.
“They stated that although it has been accepted, with the new fraud check they have to process it as well before a date will even show on their website,” the e-filer said. ‘”I was told I (should) wait 21 days, and if no refund, call back.”
Another angry commentator said the IRS lacks credibility.
“E-filed and accepted on 1/21. Claims to be ‘processing.’ Today is 2/19 and still no anticipated refund date and certainly no refund. IRS has NO credibility.”
On its website, the IRS said there are many factors that affect refund timetables reflected on Where’s My Refund.
Here the factors stated by the IRS:

• The IRS balances customer service and tax compliance by reviewing tax returns to prevent fraudulent and erroneous refunds. These critical reviews could add time to refund processing, even for some legitimate returns.
  • The IRS may need time to fix a simple error, like a math error.
  • Refund timeframes can also be affected by such factors as bankruptcy, an open audit or a balance due on a related account such as a different tax year.

The current IRS statement reads:

We are aware that some taxpayers who have filed electronically and received an acknowledgement from the IRS are concerned when they visit “Where’s My Refund” and are told that we have no information regarding their return. This is a temporary situation, and we expect to resolve the matter in a few days. At that time, taxpayers will be able to get an expected refund date when they visit “Where’s My Refund.”
If a taxpayer received an acknowledgment message that their e-filed tax return has been received, they can be assured that the IRS has the tax return even though “Where’s My Refund” does not reflect that. Taxpayers should not call the IRS unless specifically directed by “Where’s My Refund,” as there is no new information to give them.
We expect the vast majority of tax refunds to continue to be issued within the historical range of 10 to 21 days. The IRS is taking steps to update information so that Where’s My Refund has current information. The IRS apologizes for any inconvenience and will provide updated information as soon as possible.

7 thoughts on “Where’s the Fix? IRS ‘Where’s My Refund’ Glitch Stirs Anger

• February 23, 2012 at 3:27 am

Gee. If it takes you 6 weeks to fix a math error, might I suggest that you switch back to the OLD MATH? Or use a pencil, if math is not your thing. And by the way, no, the glitch is not fixed. I am still a ghost in the system since February 3rd. And the “How’d we do” survey doesn’t offer the correct answer. But that makes sense, since foul language should be prohibited on those surveys.

• February 27, 2012 at 11:17 pm

I am STEAMED!! I FILED AT THE END OF JANUARY, GOT ACCEPTED, N WAS TOLD MY CHECK WAS SENT OUT ON THE 10TH, BUT NOW ITS TELLN ME THAT IM STILL BEIN PROCESSED N SHOULD RECIEVE A REFUND N 6WEEKS…WHAT THE F@#!….THIS S THE REASON PPL SNAP N GO CRAZY, I HATE THE IRS….

• February 29, 2012 at 10:53 pm

I was so upset I filed feb ninth and they posted on their website that I should get my refund on February 21 then nothing then it said february 28 nothing and then a few days before that it said that it was being processed please allow up to six weeks then yesterday it said no information available please allow three weeks and then today it was it’s being processed please allow up to six weeks..grrr then I finally talked to an agent that I waited an hour on the phone with and said that They resequenced it and they added an extra week and call back next week and they should have a refund date!Great!So if Im lucky I should get it the day before my daughter’s birthday!Meanwhile,I paid bills a bit early when I first saw that it was being deposited to my “bank” and now it is costing me three hundred and fifty dollars in bank fees!I think they resequenced it because my hubby owed money when he took out his 401 k and they are adjusting it!Well take out your damn money and give me mine!Why can’t they get charged late fees and penalties for making us wait?

• March 12, 2012 at 9:45 am

Filed on March 8, 2012…Im a “ghost” so to speak on irs.gov. Im hearing horror stories about refunds this tax seson. Is the irs site still full of “glitches?”

• March 26, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I’m really upset as well. I filed in late January 2012 and according to the IRS site, my tax return was mailed out Feb. 27th and if I have any questions I have to wait until March 26th. It’s now March 27th and I’ve yet to receive my tax return, and the IRS site hasn’t changed AT ALL. I called them, can’t get a hold a live person to talk to. The machine says the same thing it says on the website and then hangs up!! WTF!!!??

• March 27, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Same here”……Urghhhh!! I E Filed nd accepted Feb.24th IRS website said deposit date March.13th the 13th never came into bank….then I checked website again and it gave new deposit Date March.21 ……..that date came and still no money…..checked IRS website and guess guess guess what it’s being processed! WTF???? How to u go from a direct deposit Dat twice to being processed??? What the Hell is going on here?? Today is March.27th and still nothing! My trip to South America will be a broke trip Thanks IRS! Good Luck peeps

• April 27, 2012 at 8:55 pm

why do we have to abide by rules and time tables and the irs has none