In a new video, Dorian Nakamoto, 64, the California man that Newsweek said was Satoshi Nakamoto, the mysterious creator of the virtual currency bitcoin, took a big swipe at the magazine and the reporter who wrote the story published last month.
Much of the bitcoin community has discredited Newsweek’s claims, asserting that the story is full of circumstantial information that doesn’t directly link Dorian Nakamoto to the world of bitcoin.
In a new YouTube video (see below), Dorian Nakamoto holds up the March 14 Newsweek cover.
He also mocks the notion that someone wanting to anonymously create the world’s most pervasive cryptocurrency would use their real name in online communications. The California man’s full name is Dorian Satoshi Nakamoto.
Today’s video is Nakamoto’s first public statement since he hired a lawyer and made an official denial.
During the video, during which he sits next to bitcoin entrepreneur Andreas Antonopoulos, Dorian thanked the bitcoin community for raising more than 47 bitcoins (roughly $23,000). Dorian Nakamoto says he plans to keep his “bitcoin account” open.
This Nakamoto has gained widespread support because bitcoiners see him as a victim, a private person whose life has been widely disrupted because of Newsweek’s flawed story.